Artist's books and boxes

I love making custom made matching boxes
for my artist's books.  Here are a few:
Green book made for a wonderful lady in New York City, Liz.  
I've been experimenting with various textures
on the covers.  My goal: to create strong, sturdy, and
durable textures that would allow years of 
handling and the books still look great.

Restroom, artist's book and matching box, 2013
Restroom's cover is created with fabric,
acrylic paint, mulberry paper and dictionary
pages.  A layer of methylcellulose (a glue
and binder used to create paste papers as well
as book conservation) was brushed on top
to seal the design.  
Invisible, currently part of the Art in Embassies Program
The cover of Invisible was also sealed with 
methylcellulose.  I like this binder much better than
acrylic mediums as they tend to feel sticky.

Yellow Jazz, currently on exhibit at the US Embassy in Niamey, Niger.
Yellow Jazz is one of my favorite creations using 
pigments and acrylic mediums.  The cover started as a
paste paper and turned into a heavily textured
cover for the book and box.
Geometry of Chaos, artist's book and box
Geometry of Chaos: I used black acrylic paint
and mixed it with Golden's mediums and additives.

Maybe Golden will let me demonstrate my 
techniques with their products?

Comments