I (heart) Milton Glaser

1977, the year 
 I LOVE NEW YORK
advertisements kicked off with a bang!
The year I realized art is not just for walls
and museums: It can be part of life.
Both a song and logo, everyone in NYC
was singing the song on the buses,
on the trains, in my school and in the streets.

The logo was designed by 
graphic designer extraordinaire 
and his iconic I (heart) New York
was on stickers, posters, signs, T-shirts,
mugs, pencils, my notebook -- everywhere.
I still remember Stephanie Mills
and the cast of the Broadway musical 
The Wiz singing the song and dancing!
Milton Glaser also designed the 
fabulous poster for The Wiz.


My favorite image by Milton Glaser was created in 1966
when he was with Push Pin Studios.  Here it is:
Opera News, 1966,  Milton Glaser, suzannecoleyblog
This stylized pen-and-ink design was for the opera Aida.
(I should probably frame it, but I love to touch it and read the magazine.)

Born and raised in New York City, Milton Glaser studied
illustration, painting and typography at Cooper Union (1948-51).
After graduating, he moved to Italy for two years and worked at the
Accademia di Belle Arti, Bologna under Giorgio Morandi.
 In 1954 he co-founded Push Pin Studios along with three of his
fellow Cooper grads.  From the 1960s through the mid-1970s
Push Pin graphics dominated advertising and the print media.

The Museum of Modern Art wrote, "Glaser introduced an eclectic,
 narrative style full of historical references that amalgamated
 illustration with vintage typography."



Comments