Book Arts: Believe

The Beauty of End Papers
Believe, 2014 Suzanne Coley
Back in November when I wrote the post "Between the Covers" I didn't have a title for the actual series.
First working of Believe (with handmade paper), 2013
I knew I wanted to explore the intimate sensory discoveries (touch, smell, sight) that handmade books offer.   So I put the project down and waited, and waited.

24k double gold leaf
Gold cover   
A week ago, I revisited this book and saw how the light captured the nuances of the linocut print on the silkscreened Chiyogami  paper and whispered, "You have to see it to believe it." In this series I will take the word BELIEVE and explore how we Believe in ourselves.   How we Believe in our capabilities.  How we Believe in  . . .
Linocut in the light, 2014

Believe is such an intense word, and I want the gold on the cover to reflect that intensity.  
24k Genuine Double Gold Leaf 
I pulled out my prized package of  24k Genuine Double Gold Leaf, and added gold leaf to the bottom of the textured cover.
24k double gold leaf 
Gold leaf book,  Believe, 2014

Comments