International Women's Day with Huberta von Voss-Wittig

A Role Model for the Young
Guest Column by an 11 year old 

Huberta von Voss-Wittig with J
German Ambassador's Residence, Washington, DC
Back in December, when my aunt Suzanne told me that international journalist and writer, Huberta von Voss-Wittig, agreed to have a private interview with me for International Women's Day, I had no idea how much my life would change during that visit.  *My main goal was to gather enough information so that I could start an international program at my all girls school in New York City.

Huberta von Voss-Wittig with J
Huberta is married to German Ambassador Peter Wittig. She has traveled the world and met people I have only read about in newspapers and books.  So when she welcomed me and my aunt at the German Ambassador's residence in Washington DC, I knew my day was going to be special.
J interviewing Huberta von Voss-Wittig
I asked her thirteen questions about the role of women in our world and her thoughts about the past, present, and future.  Today I would like to share one of these questions:

Why do you think women today don't celebrate International Women's Day, especially in the United States?
Entrance of German Ambassador's Residence
Washington, DC
"International Women's Day is celebrated, but it could be celebrated more and be used in schools, not just schools for girls, but all schools, to look at ourselves and see how we are doing.  I believe that change starts with yourself and we could use this day in many ways: It is important to know what is happening globally and to see what our sisters are doing overseas.  How are they living?  What struggles do they have?
J preparing her questions
It is equally important to look at yourself and your surroundings and see what your family life is like? What are your values?  What type of woman do I want to be?  What type of woman am I?  What are my goals?  Did I do everything I can to reach these goals?  When you are with your friends, do you discuss the types of books you read?  The ones that taught you something really important... something that enhanced your imagination?  
A big welcome!
German Ambassador's Residence, Washington, DC
Did anyone read a book that opened a whole new world?  Well, March 8th is an opportunity to use this day to talk about your imagination, to become aware of yourself.

Be aware of yourself: That is one of the most important things you can do on this day. This is more concrete than to talk about facts and figures in countries that are incredibly far away.  Countries you may never visit and may forget the next day.

So, change happens with you, your family, your community.  And, you can have an impact!  If you can have an impact, then have an impact.  Don't wait for somebody else to change your situation."


Many thanks to Huberta von Voss-Wittig and all women!
* My school did not recognize March 8th,  International Women's Day this year, however I will continue to do all I can.  After all, change does begin with me.  More to come. . . 


Comments