52 Weeks of Printmaking on Textile: Week 7

Mixed Media Fiber Arts:

This entire series is inspired by African textiles that I received from the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art in Washington, DC back in October 2016.
 African textiles, monoprint, map, vintage cotton
After the initial surprise of receiving such prized beauties, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them: Make mixed media fiber art books.  Each page would be composed of either an entire piece of African textile or a combination of African textiles with American.  I plan to make twelve volumes for this series and the entire series will be titled: Sun Mirrors.

Each month I have been visiting the museum and showing my most recently finished book.  I've been fortunate to have my books reviewed by an African art history scholar during these visits.  They point out aspects of my research and work in ways that enhance my knowledge and process. 
On my most recent visit, I met the artistic team from Sahara Lab of Morocco.  Their work is amazing and I love how, through film, they capture the beauty and reality of their culture and country.  (I'm returning to the museum on Saturday to see their presentation.)

Four books completed, eight more to go.  It takes me at least a month to make a book.  When I experiment with new ideas, the time increases.  



Comments