Skip to main content

52 Weeks of Printmaking on Textiles: Week 8

Smithsonian National Museum of African Art

On Wednesday, scholars got a chance to review my newest handcrafted textile books.  
Handcrafted textiles books number 3 and 4
It was wonderful to have them look through each page and give me feedback.  
Handcrafted textile books
The most frequent comment was that the wood covers looked like glass.  I explained that over 45 days, I applied 25 thin coats of poly to achieve that look.
Handcrafted textile books by Suzanne Coley
What is so interesting about this comment is I really wanted to have glass covers for these books, and I looked into it.  There were two problems: 1. I would've had to hire someone to create the glass covers and 2. They would have been too fragile for my project.  (I shattered a sample while transporting a piece to my home.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

365 Handmade Books: Painted Songs, Day 363

Materials  1. Etching
2. Linocuts 3. Vintage maps 4. Pastels 5. Acrylic paints 6. Pencils 7. Vellums
Binding & Cover 1. Book boards .087 2. Archival adhesives
3. Acrylic mediums 4. Linen thread
<

365 Handmade Books: Painted Songs, Day 359

Materials 1. Handmade papers (made in Baltimore) 2. Linocuts 3. Mathematics sheets 4. Pastels 5. Acrylic paints 6. Pencils 7. Vellum
8. Vintage maps
Binding & Cover 1. Book boards .087 2. Archival adhesives
3. Acrylic mediums 4. Linen thread

Walking through Clouds

I have been taking morning walks in tranquil Maryland meadows.  
There is nothing more grounding than walking through clouds.