52 Weeks of Printmaking on Textile: Week 26

Every book needs a Cover

One of the trickiest parts of making this 12 volume series of unique books has been the design of the covers.
I knew from the beginning that I wanted the covers to be created from wood.  The inspiration for my designs were the beauty of antique violins and guitars.  Wood, a material that comes from our soil and has a previous life, also offers symbolic connotations.
Each piece of wood is unique, even if it is cut from the same tree.  I chose the woods that have lots of life and character.  I wanted to tap into the temperament of their grain, luster, and imperfections.
Like the unique pieces of vintage and rare African textiles, the unique grain of each piece of wood has guided my creative process and inspired my linoleum block designs.
Each mixed media fiber art book is unique, with its own poem, set of images, and textile designs.  However, the covers have the same width, depth, and overall construction.  Perhaps one day they will be exhibited together . . . 

Comments