365 Handmade Books: Painted Songs, Day 180

Center page, Book 180
About one third of the books created during the month of June contain fragments of I Never Thought I'd be the One, one of my original poems.  Here it is:

I never thought I’d be the one to break your heart. 
I never thought I would be the one to make you cry.
I never thought I’d be the one to make you say never again.
Cuz I love you more than anything in the world.

I never thought I’d be the one to make you deny loving again. 
Build a wall around you, never let anyone in. 
A wall so resilient a canon could not penetrate.
I never thought I’d be the one to put that bitter 
taste in your mouth no amount of sweets could dissolve.

I never thought you would call me monster when 
honey and darling used to pour from your lips. 
I never thought we would end up like this: distant and apart. 
So far from each other that breath moves slowly, 
becoming foreign and cold. Cuz I love you more than 
I love myself. 

I never thought I’d see your beautiful green eyes turn purple from pain. 
Bruising, seeping through your brain. 
Blood weeping from cuts only love can shear. 
A rugged sickle scoring destruction and havoc until all emotions disappear.
Cuz I love you more than life itself. 
More than the air I breathe. 
More than death’s desire for life. 

I never thought I’d be the one to put a plastic 
bag on my face and inhale until there was 
        no more you.

Copyright 2011 Suzanne Coley

Comments