Creating Textile Books

Mixed Media Fiber Art:

For the past two months I've been working on new mixed media textile books.  Working with textiles from Africa has pushed and pulled my artistic practice in ways I never imagined.
Created entirely of African textiles I received from the National Museum of African Art and American textiles from my grandma's stash, I've been combining them to make stories inspired by current events I'm reading in the newspaper, National Geographic, and in books.
It took me a few weeks to identify which country the textiles came from and what occasions they were worn.
I decided to keep each fabric separate and use its color as the main inspiration for the imagery.   Some textiles were from men's clothing and some were from women's.
I have completed two, Smog and O'Positive, which are now in the collection of the National Museum of African Art.


Comments