Rwanda - Greeting Cards

Lovely!
Handmade paper & cards by young people in Rwanda
Umbrella card by Cards from Africa
Each card tells a story.  Created with a variety of handmade papers, these collages are some of the most beautiful original works of art I've seen on cards.  I love the meticulous hand-cut designs so much I feel like framing them and putting them on my wall (but I am going to mail them to friends).
Returning Home by Cards from Africa
For years I have been admiring the wonderful paper making skills of these artists, especially the vibrant colors they have been able to achieve with natural dyes and reflective mica rock flakes.  (My photographs don't quite capture the wonderful textures and colors of the actual cards.)
Back of Returning Home card signed by Issa
The cards are signed on the back by the artist.  Fair Trade and Eco-Friendly, these cards can be purchased in specialty shops in 21 states in the U.S. or on Cards From Africa's online store.
Twilight Tree card by Cards from Africa
Based in Cambridge, UK, Cards from Africa was founded in 2004 by Chris Page with an admirable premise: "We believe that all people are precious and that we must do more than provide jobs: we must take care of the entire person.  As a result, we take a holistic approach to employment."

*I really like the images photographer Greg Funnell took of artisans of Cards from Africa when he visited their Kigali workplace in 2011



Comments