Why I need botany lessons

Imprints of leaves from trees and shrubs are beautiful and make wonderful art.
However, before I visited Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, whenever anyone asked me about the leaves I used I would say, " I got them down the street, around the corner, from the big tree."
When you visit Hunt Institute and see their vast collections and speak with their friendly staff, you realize there is so much more to botany in art.
Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, Duets Exhibition  Photo: by Suzanne Coley with permission
watercolor by John Tyley (Antiqua/England?, fl. early 1800s)
Image courtesy Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
Hunt Institute has their annual Open House on Sunday, 29 June, and I look forward to seeing more rare books and speaking with their staff.

Comments