A love letter

One hundred years . . .
One hundred years, acrylic and oil on paper
one hundred years with you would not be enough
to show you all my love
to shower you with kisses
to touch you where it tickles
to soften the blows of life
to capture the wind in a jar and save for a still day

one hundred years with you would not be enough
for me to feel your presence as
we swim in the lake guided by the moon
even hurricanes didn't touch our oak cabin you built
sturdy roof and small kitchen for two

we have had wars where lives were lost
property was destroyed, children made orphans
Our love endured.

Two days left before I take my final breath
The machine will be turned off and all I
Can think of is your kisses on my breasts
On that cold winder day when all seemed hopeless

We thought we would never get through
The long lines in frosty weather with holes in our shoes
Tears in our coats, empty pockets
We thought we could never know what it
Would be like to pay rent again after
Your company lost it all

When the power is turned off and the machine
Goes silent with the beat of my heart, one
Hundred years will never be enough, however
One day with you was move than I could
Ever dream in this lifetime.

©2011 Suzanne Coley


Comments