Why I Make Books

I love books!  I love reading them.  I love touching them.  I love the sound of turning pages.  I love the smell of cotton fiber pages.


For thousands of years, prior to Guttenberg's invention of moveable type in Germany during the mid 1400's, each and every book was made by hand.  Books were expensive, highly coveted  possessions of the wealthy, royalty, aristocracy, and monasteries.   If you were somebody, you owned a beautiful, well crafted book.


Maintaining the high quality traditions of handmade books of the past is important to me.  In recent years, I 've replaced handmade paper with handwoven and luxury textiles.  These textiles are innately tactile and relatable: Fabric pages are not flat and completely blank.
Each stitch adds texture, memory and dimension.  The fabric moves and molds itself in the hands of the reader.
Even people who never or rarely work with textile will recognize the textures of fabric from their own experiences.


Comments