100 Days of COVID-19, Day 10

My Art in the Time of a Pandemic

Not marble, nor the gilded monuments
Of princes, shall outlive this powerful rhyme;
But you shall shine more bright in these contents
Than unswept stone besmear'd with sluttish time.
When wasteful war shall statues overturn,
And broils root out the work of masonry,
Nor Mars his sword nor war's quick fire shall burn
The living record of your memory.
'Gainst death and all-oblivious enmity
Shall you pace forth; your praise shall still find room
Even in the eyes of all posterity
That wear this world out to the ending doom.
So, till the judgment that yourself arise,
You live in this, and dwell in lover's eyes.
     Shakespeare, Sonnet 55

 *****

      Today I spent ten hours working on my handmade textile books.  The base materials for my books are wedding dresses that I find at second hand shops.  I take the dresses apart at the seams and paint and dye the individual fabric pieces.  Since the lock down I've been fascinated by the colors royal blue and fuchsia. Perhaps I am thinking of Spring flowers, because I have dyed almost every piece of fabric either royal blue or fuchsia.  I dye the fabrics in a huge black pot. To get the perfect colors, I have to stir the pot often.  It is a tedious and long process, but dyeing the fabrics this way gives the fabrics beautiful colors.  Hopefully, I will post the results in a few days.


******
Coronavirus Disease 2019: Update in Maryland- 4/9/2020
6,185 confirmed cases 
138 deaths        

Update in New York State - 4/9/2020
161,799 confirmed cases 
7,067 deaths, including 5,150 in NYC

Comments