100 Days of COVID-19, Day 13

My Art in the Time of a Pandemic

Nothing like reading the newspaper on Sunday mornings. 
I enjoy touching the 22"x 24"pages.  I find myself holding them close to my face especially when I get lost in a story.  Pinching the cool coarse edges to turn a page reminds me that there are more stories waiting.  The sound of creasing, crinkling, crumpling paper sends a smile to my face.  The familiar musty scent brings back memories of years of reading about politics, crime, business, entertainment and lifestyles.  Each Sunday everything seems so new, unimaginable.  Looking back, everything becomes like the thin newsprint itself, made from wood pulp and recycled matter -- not intended to last long.

This morning when I was reading the Sunday Times, I was going to print my linocut on the cover like I usually do.  But when I read the wonderful article The Caribou Lessons by Caroline Van Hemert in the Travel Section, I began to dream of traveling across majestic plains and magnificent mountains.  I thought of all the places I wanted to visit and never had the time.


Coronavirus Disease 2019: Update in Maryland- 4/12/2020
8,225 confirmed cases 
236 deaths        

Update in New York State - 4/12/2020
189,033 confirmed cases 
9,385 deaths, including 6,898 in NYC




Comments