100 Days of COVID-19, Day 30

My Art in the Time of a Pandemic

Tonight I decided to repeat a blog post about my bone folders I originally posted 7 years ago.  They are still my most important tools.
Bone folders from my studio, Suzanne Coley
Bone folders are my extra fingers when binding books and making boxes.

#1 Teflon bone folder - used for smoothing, pressing, folding, shaping.
#2, #3, #4 - antique genuine bone folders given to me by a retired master bookbinder, made in Germany - used for delicate work and conservation.
#5 - wooden Potter's rib - used for difficult spots in large boxes.  Great for smoothing and shaping.
#6, #7 modern genuine bone folders - used for scoring and turning corners when binding books.
#8 Teflon bone folder - nothing sticks to them and they don't leave marks.
Bone folders are great for crisp clean folds and creases.  Suzanne Coley
My fingers may grip, pinch, and pick up things,
but my bone folders are stronger, smaller,
larger, rounder, skinner, flatter, sturdier,
and can be sanded into other types of shapes.  

My bone folders score, press, shape,
burnish, fold, smooth, and work the corners
and grooves of my books and boxes better
than my pinky and index fingers.

Suzanne

_______________________

*Coronavirus Disease 2019:
Update in Maryland- 4/29/2020
20,849 confirmed cases 
1,078 deaths        

Update in New York State - 4/29/2020
299,691 confirmed cases 
23,477 deaths, including 18,076 in NYC

Total in United States: 1,039,909 confirmed cases, 60,967 deaths
Total Worldwide:       3,193,886 confirmed cases, 227,638 deaths


* All numbers are taken from Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Comments