100 Days of COVID-19, Day 45

My Art in the Time of a Pandemic


Face Masks
When the CDC recommended wearing face coverings in public to slow the spread of the coronavirus, I had already begun experimenting with different patterns. 
The main problem I encountered with some of the available patterns was the fit.  The masks didn't fit snugly or comfortably around my face.  I had to make several adjustments to ensure a proper fit.  
This week I went online and found a really nice pattern at Joann Fabrics' website.  They also have a "how to" video that shows you how to make shaped face mask with tips for making cloth ties instead of elastic straps.  
I've been using various textiles and fabrics from my quilting and book art stash.  These fabrics are much thicker, with tighter weaves than most cotton fabrics.  They also have pleasant, flowery patterns that are cheerful to look at.  And, these days, I like a lot of "cheer."



*Coronavirus Disease 2019:
Update in Maryland- 5/14/2020
35,903 confirmed cases 
1,866 deaths    2,569 recovered

Update in New York State - 5/14/2020
343,051 confirmed cases 
27,641 deaths    59,758 recovered

Total in United States: 1,417,512 confirmed cases, 85,886 deaths
Total Worldwide:       4,440,989 confirmed cases, 302,376 deaths



* All numbers are taken from Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Comments