Books are Magic


Patterns and Designs

My last post showed a variation of the log cabin quilt pattern.  A pattern that I grew up using and have come to love.  When I first saw the beautiful variety of fabric scraps, with their vast range of vibrant golds, glittering silvers and muted plaids, I thought the log cabin pattern would work well. 
However, by the time I created the third page I realized the log cabin pattern wasn't the best choice for these fabrics.  I didn't like the way the fabrics "read."  

Another quilt design I used as a child was the string pattern.  It is great for combining disparate fabric textures, styles, and colors.   It involves cutting every fabric into 1" to 2" strips and then sewing these strips together to create a square.  After making four squares, I combine them to form a diamond shape.  The beautiful metallic and gold fabrics mixed with the plaids create a very pleasing design.


 *Coronavirus Disease 2019:

Update in Maryland- 8/23/2020
104,102 confirmed cases 
3,691 deaths   6,047 recovered

Update in New York State - 8/23/2020
429,737 confirmed cases 
32,883 deaths    74,640 recovered

Total in United States: 5,693,879 confirmed cases, 176,756 deaths
Total Worldwide: 23,309,597 confirmed cases, 806,543 deaths


* All numbers are taken from Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Comments