Haute Couture Inspirations


When I'm in NYC I always try to visit the Museum at FIT.  Their exhibitions are always wonderful and I leave inspired.   



On the left: Evening dress by Parisian haute couture house Boué Soeurs.  Silver lamé twill, net, and chiffon dress; silk and metal appliqué; glass beads.  Founded by two sisters, Boué Soeurs was known for creating elaborate ensembles using delicate fabrics.  Signature elements included Alençon and Duchesse lace, embroidery, ribbon work, and gold & silver textiles.

On the right:  Silk evening gown by Alexander McQueen from his Spring 2007 Sarabande collection.  The fine details of this elegant 1930s style dress, embroidered with designs of climbing roses made my heart skip a beat when I first looked at it.  The embroidery and tailoring were breathtaking!

Ravishing: The Rose in Fashion, on exhibit at the Museum at FIT until 28 November 2021, FREE


Comments